1. Install IWebCF module on your DotNetNuke development site, using the typical module install method.
2. Install the IWebCF code snippets that can be downloaded here. For instructions on these view: How to install IWebCF code snippets.
3. Open the DotNetNuke site in Visual Studio (or Visual Web Developer Express)
4. Under the IWebCF folder, that is under the App_Code folder right-click on the ServiceMethods folder and select Add New Item...
5. Choose Class for the template and enter IWebTabManagerMethods.vb for the name
6. The file will be created
7. Delete the default code generated and use the IWebCF Service snippet that you installed previously.
8. Replace IWebService with IWebTabManager.
9. Replace MethodName with GetTabNamesOnPortal
10. Replace String with List(Of String)
11. Replace the IWebMethod Attribute values
With these values
12. Copy and past the following into the method after the Dim results As New List(Of String) line
Dim tabs As ArrayList = tabCtrl.GetTabs(msg.Header.PortalID)
For Each t As Entities.Tabs.TabInfo In tabs
If Not t.IsAdminTab AndAlso Not t.IsSuperTab Then
13. After saving this file, it will be compiled into the CoreService class and exposed like the other IWebCF methods in the edit screen. You will also be able to see your method by viewing: /DesktopModules/IWebCF/CoreService.svc
Putting the class file in the correct place
In order to work the class file containing your new web method must be placed in the App_Code/IWebCF/ServiceMethods folder.
To do this you create an entry such as this in the .dnn file that is contained in your module package
The ../IWebCF/ in the path causes the file to be placed in the proper directory.
To download the code from this tutorial and a client application to test the new method please click here.